A Tale of Two Black Tapes Part 1

"Ghosts, poltergeists, spirits, and demons. Is death the end of the road, or simply a transition to another realm? From the the National Radio Alliance and Minnow Beats Whale, it's the Black Tapes Podcast. I'm Alex Reagan."

 The First words of The Black Tapes. I remember when I first listened to It. I didn't know what to expect but I wasn't disappointing. The Black Tapes describe themselves as a X files meets Serial which is an excellent description. The Podcast is presented in a vary professional manner, and Alex is very journalistic. I think that the professionalism is one of the things that drew me in. It felt like it was a story to be told. That Alex Regan was the Storyteller and that I was Sitting at the Campfire waited for the Tale to unfold. The editing of the podcast is truly a thing of mastery. Alex goes from voice over to soundbite to interview to recording but, (for me at least) the pacing is never broken.

But enough blushing over the podcast. The first episode for me felt more like an episode of Paranormal Witness then an episode of X-Files. The premise of the show starts out pretty simple Alex Regan begins the show learning about the wonderful world of paranormal research but soon becomes interested in a paranormal investigator named Richard Strand a "Ghost Hunter who doesn't believe in ghosts". Before she gets to Strand she meets a fun mix of other more "traditional" Paranormal Investigator such as Professor Dupont, a Medium and writer. Which leads to a lovely exchange where they go ghosthunting... at a credit union. I think the credit union seance is probably one of the most memorable parts of the episode. sitting around a table while two flashlights flicker on and off. It more exciting then it sounds.

The Episode ends with the viewing of the first black tape. A tall Shadow follows a man named Robert Torres what will happen next who knows?

Closing Thoughts

First of all I would like to apologize about the quality I've never done a recap before and I'm not very good at it.

now for more fun Stuff

I really like the dynamic between Dr. Strand and Alex. While they have a Mulder/Sculley Dynamic its damped down Dr.Strand is a skeptic but sometimes it seems a bit forced sometimes not that he doesn't believe but that he wants to not believe. Alex on the other hand is just hear for the ride.

Speaking of doctor strand it is believed that his character was inspired by James Randi.

Fun Fact: A Tale of Two Tapes Prt 1 and 2 where released on the same day.

 External Links



 This article was originally posted on the Podcast Database Wiki.

Comments