My April Wrapup

April was a month of rest and relaxation. Last month I mentioned how there was some upset at my job and because of that I made the personnal decision to leave earlier then I was planning. Instead of a week of downtime I made it a month. Honestly I really enjoyed it. On one hand I didn't get down everything I would have liked but I feel that is always the case whenever we have free time. I spent these last three weeks doing whatever the fuck I wanted which apprently boils down to getting some reading in, sleeping, and finishing some small sewing projects. I've also managed to clean my room a couple dozen times but its still manages to be a giant mess can't figure out how that happened. 

This month I also took the inititive to finally watch the legacy slashers I've heard so much about. The only issue is that theres *actually checks notes* 42 Films between the Big 4 (Friday the 13th, Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, and Nightmare on Elm Street). At the moment I've only seen a quarter of them. This will be an ongoing project of mine but I'll probably be taking it a little slower with my movie watching as I will be starting a new job. Time will Tell. 

Without further ado lets get into THE GOOD STUFF.

Podcasts

Psuedopod

Referenced: Creepy

I first heard about Psuedopod when I was just getting into horror podcasts, cutting my teeth on the likes of NoSleep and Scared Yet! I had just began really getting into the wide world of podcasts as I had just started my blog at the Podcast Database Wiki I would have been maybe 19. Talk about a trip down memory road. Psuedopod was started in 2006 and if you know your history podcast reached mainstream popularity when they were offered as an audio file on the first ipod in 2005. To put it planly Psuedopod is one of the first modern podcasts. Also don't quote me on this but its also most likely one of the earliest podcast I've ever covered since the majority of the ones on this blog are from the 2010s when I started getting into audio dramas. I know how dare I be swayed by my own personal interest for a blog that gets very little traffic. 

Psuedopod is essentially an online magazine podcast. similar to the pulp story magazines of the past. They feature one Horror short story per episode and for someone that doesn't get a chance to read many periodicals it was an enjoyable experience. I mentioned Psuedopod as one of the long running horror podcasts at the time along with NoSleep. However its important to point out that Psuedopods story currating is more reminscent of the traditional publishing sphere then its contemporaries. Like breeds Like and the other podcast I mentioned are based on the Creepypasta writing style and because I realize I'm an internet recluse let my clarify. 

Creepypasta began there origins from urban legends and through a few internet generations of iteration, they developed a fairly unique style of first person narrative. When its good its good but it lacks the variety that traditional literature has. Psuedopod is a refreshing in the world of horror podcasting it takes a traditional publshing method and executes it perfuctly in an audio landscape. As podcast production goes it tends to be a little more dry and erudite but it was  perfectly enjoyable listening experience perfect to put on while you wait for the kettle to whistle. 

TV Shows

The Magicians

Referenced: 11 Shows I'm Excited to See on Quibi

Ok I want to know who rewrote their Narnia Fanfic to make it 5000% more horny. 

I'm asking because I wanted to thank you. 

So as a old coworker recently told me there is apparently 6 more seasons of this or something and please stop I can only simp so hard for literally every single person in this cast. 

I remember watching a few episodes of the first season when it first came out in 2015 along with the first season of The Expanse both of these shows are great but I was just the biggest repressed little bisexual and I refused to process that as the time but now I am in my mid-20s, (oh dear god the entropy), and am the biggest bisexual slut so I can enjoy this fine horny trash. 

In all serious through this series is incredible satisfrying you get a nice "adultish" drama in the vein of something like Shameless along with just incredible satisfrying set and costume design. The characters are incredible enjoyable and everything about this is what those millenials who are too into Harry Potter should be watching. 

I don't have anything of worth to saw about this. This series is just a incredible solid fantasy romp and I am a fucking bi-disaster. nuff said. 

Video Games

Dream Daddy

Referenced: Crush Crush



The real gaygenda are those walkable neighborhoods am I right liberals. 

I guess this is the ultra nostaglia edition of these wrapups since I distinctly remember that this game came out when I was in high school, (ok 2017 so just after high school whatever). I was really into Markiplier at the time and I'm pretty sure I watched him play a good 80% of the game. To be honest I think this is probably one of the first dating sims I had heard of that featured same sex couples. Also I was going through my "I'm Just A Really Good Ally" phrase. What I feel is really ironic is that I didn't hear about Coming Out On Top until three or four years after this and that game came out in 2014. I also played the fuck out of that game, (once again slut), at least a year or two before I ever bought Dream Daddy. What I'm saying is playing this game was a long time in the making.

Because this is a blog and I'm supposed to be reviewing these properties heres my two cents. Dream Daddy is a game built on two things its humor and its heart.

 Fatherhood is one of those things that is horribly underrepresented in media mostly because the world sucks and everyone has daddy issues. Hell I disowned my biological father fun times. That issue is compounded when it comes to gay men, both in terms of being a person with a father and being a person with a child. One of my favorite characters in Coming Out On Top was Donovan who was a divorced middle aged man finally coming to terms with his sexuality and balancing his life as a father co-parenting his son and as a newly single divorcee. Dream Daddy is like that but to 11. You play as a single father who has recently moved into a new neighborhood with a bunch of other dads and you begin by hanging out with them. Unlike other dating sims there isn't as much of an explicit need to actually sleep or begin a relationship with the characters some routes are definetly more sexually, (for instance Robert, Joseph, and Craig) but there are others, (like Damiens and Brian), that are decidingly more chaste. This isn't a steamy game and it focuses on actually connecting with your neighbors, connecting with the children, and most importantly connecting with your own daughter who is growing up and about to leave for college. It gives you a lot of ability for growth and drama and just petty everyday occurences that are surprisingly uncommon for a dating sim. This game isn't just about getting to see hot guys with there shirts off, (though there is some fun eye candy), its more about getting to know the people around you.

This game also takes the phrase Daddy to an almost absurd level. I feel at this point calling a gay man a Daddy goes to a point of memery. I for one am not a little I have no desire to date someone who actually takes on a fatherly role in my life but the archtype of a daddy, (Allen Silver comes to mind), still holds some weight. I brake for critters and I SIMP for DILFs. Even in the title the game attempts to take gayness and gay culture to a level of tongue in cheek absurdity. This game is absolutely about hot older men and they are all fathers. they all make dad jokes and like "Dad things".

 Grilling?; absolutely. 

Fishing?; theres a minigame.

 Bragging about your children?; weirdly enough also a minigame. 

Jimmy Buffet? 

... ... ...

We don't talk about Jimmy Buffet, pack up your stuff and leave. 

The point is this game is hilariously funny. It is incredible well written and it takes a joy in the idea and culture of American Fatherhood that is honestly refreshing since we've been shitting on the concept for the past 20 years. Yeah thats right, its my blog and i'm going to call out every single sitcom. Except Bob's Burgers, BB gets a pass. 

What else can i say its a good time with the gays and its the future that liberals want just fucking buy it already. 

Everything Else I Played

🎮The Painscreek Killings
🎮The Witness

Movies

Friday the 13th (1980)

Referenced: Slasher

Ok so I watched a fuck ton of slashers in April and this one was honestly just OK. 

*gasp*

Yes, Yes I know feel free to roast me at the stake for speaking such horrid blasphemys but I'm sorry ok. I watched this after whetting my teeth on '90s meta slashers and '70s splatter and giallo films, i had the same issue with Blair Witch. 

I also wanted to mention that Hulu fucked up the audio for this movie, there was about a 30 second delay and it really drew me out of the film but I've also seen the next 4 movies in this series and I feel like that gives me enough background to hate on your faves. Get ready for absolute pettyness. 

I literally don't remember any of the characters which is actually kinda funny I remember characters from the other films mostly cause I hated them or they were hot. This film there was that asshole who keep appearing in redface, there was that crazy dude? yeah flat characters.

I liked the kills. Loved the arrow scene don't really remember any of the rest to be honest. I kinda feel bad that I have a near photographic memory of all the kills from Nightmare on Elm Street but I can't even tell you how many people died in this film, (through in my defense there was like 43 onscreen kills between the first 4 films which is more on-screen deaths then the entirety of NOES, (40))

In terms of hornyness this movie was alright it definetly was not the horniest of the films I've seen in the series but theres was a decent amount of eye candy. 

Also can I just say it Friday as a series is like impossible horny, i've only seen five of the movies and 2 of them literally both had a virgin nerd character like the fuck im a horndog with the rest of them but even I wasn't this bad in high school. 

Halloween (1978)

Referenced: Slasher

Like I mentioned above I watched this film after I had seen a lot of the inspiration for it. Bob Clarks Black Christmas(1974) is an undeniable spiritual ancestor to this film but Carpenter managed to turn the Man and the Babysitter Upstairs premise into a truly iconic piece of horror cinema. 

I'm not madly in love with Halloween as a first film. I enjoyed it yes, but at the end of the day this was an hour and a half of teenagers having sex in abandoned houses and calling up a young Jamie Lee Curtis. There are some great scenes, and as final girls go Curtis is up there along with Sally from TCM(1981) and Tess from  NOES: Dream Master(1988).

I watched quite a few '80s slashers in april and while it was an enjoyable experience it was hard to truly appreciate them the same way that so many have that came before it. I don't by any means dislike slashers, some of my favorite films and horror movies that got me into flim where part of this genre. At the same time while I appreciate the world they live in its hard to truly connect with this era. I imagine this opinion will change over time and I do plan on watching the vast majority of the legacy slashers and before you ask I do have a bullet journal spread of all of them. 

Urban Legends (1998)

Referenced: Candyman

I absolutely loved this film. 

It amazes me that it took so long for me to watch this movie. I grew up on the mid 2000s internet back when people used E-mail as a type of social media. I remember going to folklore websites and looking up old urban legends, this of course made me aware of this flim long before I ever watched my first Slasher, (It was Scream(1996) BTW and yes that it a high bar to beat.)

I love every thing about this. I love '90s slashers in general but Urban Legends was everything I wanted and more. Campy, Interesting Kills, The Type of Who-dun-it slasher who could be everyone, and the fact that ROBERT FUCKING ENGLUND is in this. Everything about this is so referential to different urban legends and it has that hypersexual vibe that permeated the '90s. 

This was just an extremly incredibles fun movie. Everything about this film took everything I love about slasher movies and wrapped it up in a very specific topic that I am low-key obsessed with.  This is, to put it plainly, my exact shit. 

Now if only they could have a sequel to this but with Jensen Ankels and Misha Collins are gay lovers and my life would be complete. 

Everything Else I Watched 

📽️A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)

📽️The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

📽️NOES 2: Freddys Revenge (1985)

📽️NOES 3: Dream Warriors (1987)

📽️NOES 4: The Dream Master (1988) 

📽️NOES 5: The Dream Child (1989)

📽️The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986)

📽️Freddys Dead: The Final Nightmare (1991)

📽️Everthing Everywhere All at Once (2022)

📽️ Wes Cravens New Nightmare (1994)

📽️ A Nightmare On Elm Street (2010)

📽️ Friday the 13th Part II (1981)

📽️Friday the 13th Part III (1982)

📽️ Sleepaway Camp (1983)

📽️Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter (1984)

Comments