Crafting and Connections: My Febuary Wrapup

 


Hey Whores; February was a pretty good month. I got a lot done. 

In terms of life stuff I managed to renew my drivers license, (my new photo makes me look like a young Rupert Grint), and file my taxes which only took me several exhaustive hours of compiling my accounting books. Tre sexy. 

The good news is that this gave me time to sit down watch a bunch of television while I did that. 

So for shits and giggles. lets look at how much I've managed to bite off of my Netflix Watchlist. 

 At the Beginning of the Month I had 174 Items added to my watchlist broken down as 103 shows and 71 movies. 

At the end of this month I have that number down to 88 Shows and 54 Movies. I know that I didn't watch 25 tv shows this month so we'll just have to take this with a grain of salt. I'm sure I missed something somewhere. 

I have a little section of the spreadsheet that records how long it would take to watch all of my watchlist and it is currently at 937.05 Hours or about 14 months if I was to watch 2 hours of television a night. Sounds like I have my work cut out for me. 

I did try to watch the first season of The Walking Dead which is one of my famous Reference Watchlist shows that I was supposed to review, (dear god), three years ago, but I wasn't able to get into it. I really loved the comics but the show itself just didn't speak to me. This year is very much a fuck it we ball year so this will be a show for another time. 

In future news March will be bringing more work with my catering job as well as a brand spanking new SPOOFTOBER! the spoof of hooptober I've been doing to get through all of the movies I have screduled to watch. Its fun. last night I watched Blood Red Sky and I don't recommend it. 

Web of Make Believe (2022)

Yet another Netflix True Crime Doc because kitten, daddy is sad sometimes and likes to veg out to the horrors. 

Heres the skinny, Like Worst Roommate Ever! this is an anthology doc where each episode deals with some kind of internet skullduggery, crimes like hacking, sexplotation, and swatting, and more esoteric violence, namely white supremacist hate groups. 

The episodes differ in tone and affect with the standout of the group being EP3 'Not a Nazi' which follows Samantha Froelich, (name and shame), an ex-member of the White Supremacist Group Identity Evropa.

This episode is differcult to watch. I don't think its wrong to explain the Alt Right Pipeline and I do think that this documentary makes a point to condemn there ideology. However the central framing leaves me with misgivings. Froelich did not accidentally become a nazi, there are of course siturations in which fascist and other ideological groups will obscure there true intentions until one is fully indoctrinated. This is not one of those stories. Froelich sought out a hate group, went through what seems like a lengthy interview process that fully expected her to understand both the rheteroic and to dog-whistle appropriately, and proceeded to work as a recruiter for the cause. The reason why she left was that leopards began to eat her face. I have no sympathy for her and I am always suspicious of an ex-nazi especially one that is playing the damsel. 

I'm not going to apoligize for my intensity, but I will get off my soapbox. 

4/5

Hilda (2018 - 2023) 

Based on a British series of Graphic Novels, Hilda is a Young Adult cartoon about an adventous girl in a vagualy scandanavian fantasy setting and I fucking love it. 

One the animation is just georgous and has this very low-fi soft energy to it. The characters are strong and emotive and it is probably one of the better cartoons that has come out in recent years. 

I don't have a lot to say that isn't just the fluffiest of puff pieces so do yourself a favor and put this on when your having a bad day. 

5/5

Mysterious Science Theater (1988 - ongoing)

Daddy definetly didn't get pulled over have sad boi hours and watch 9 hours of bad sci-fi movies to cope. Anyway please ignore that previous sentence because I did watch the last 12 episodes of the Netflix era of MST3k in like a week. Making my personal movies per day record to at least 6. My records are vague. 

If you don't know what MST3K is, as most of my coworkers don't apparently, its a horror host show with a twist. basically some smuck is stuck in a moon base and being tortured by mad scientist by making him watch bad b-movies until he goes insane. Listen to the theme song it will make sense. 

The other element that makes it interesting is the constant 'riffing' from the host and his robot friends. 

Its one of those things that you either love or hate so just watch it. I really love the netflix soft reboot but all of there classic episodes are free to watch at gizmoplex so I am a very happy clam. 

Crime Scene: The Texas Killing Fields (2022)

I watched this apparently. All I remember from it was that several womens body where found in a field along a highway coridor and they never caught whoever did it. Its actually a very sad story. 

Who Killed Jill Dando? (2023)

While this doc started off strong its another one of those docu-series that takes a very long time to go nowhere fast. Jill Dando was a beloved news host in england who was shot on her doorstep in broad daylight and her killer was never found. 

This documentary does very little to add to the conversation. 

Everything Else:

looking through the rest of my notes I did finish a few other shows this month. Little Witch Academia, an anime about a plucky young witch who's trying to follow in the footsteps of her idol Lucky Chariot. The Innocence Files which is a fantastic docuseries following the Innocent Foundation and the many many miscarraiges of justice that occur in our legal system and of course Love Death & Robots Volume 3 which happen to have a much stronger collection of shorts then the less.... restrained earlier seasons. 

Anyway sluts and slanterns I'm getting a little tired of typing so I'll see you next month. Keep up with me on Letterboxd as I work on my Spoof-tober II challenge. 

 

Comments